Water Front Boys Sink Central Parade; Coach Says Defeat due to Fatigue

A goal each from Foday Mansaray and Julius Goba in the 56th and 72nd minutes respectively was enough for Ports Authority to drown their host in a very exciting and entertaining encounter at the Siaka Stevens Stadium last Sunday.

Central Parade head coach, Chernor Mansaray was convinced that the 2-0 defeat was due to fatigue and a first half thigh injury of his first choice goalkeeper, Joseph Alie. 

“We played a very difficult match on Friday against Diamond Stars and played again on Sunday without getting the required recovery period. We were also forced to withdraw our first choice goalkeeper at half time due to injury and substitute goalkeeper, Mohamed A. Sesay was not mentally prepared for the match,” coach Mansaray said.

Supporters clad in their respective clubs’ attire had trooped to the stadium to witness what football pundits had described as a “battle of equals” but the withdrawal of Central Parade’s first choice goalkeeper at half time changed the rhythm of the match.

In the first half, both teams defended more and played on the break, thereby failing to create goal-scoring opportunities. With the ball playing mainly in the midfield, fans were kept at bay, waiting for the deadlock to be broken.

Shortly before the break, Central Parade had two goal-scoring opportunities that were denied by the goalkeeper and the post. While Alpha Bedor had his shot hit the post, skipper Alfred Nyuma had his shot parried away by goalkeeper, Unisa Koroma.

Central Parade had hoped to continue their fine form and get all three points to take the lead at the Sierra Leone Premier League table but a well determined Ports Authority side thwarted their hopes and left them in 3rd place in the SLPL table.

After the break, the Water Front Boys came in well determined upfront. They raided the opponents’ defense severally but could not get the opener till the 56th minute, when Mohamed Kamara break through from the midfield and ran across to the left.

Kamara cleverly dribbled past the right wing back and floated a volley in the penalty area for Foday Mansaray to head home the opener.

15 minutes later, Julius Goba side-kicked a pass from Foday Mansaray to seal the score-line.

Ports Authority head coach, John Ajina Sesay was full of praise for his boys, noting that they approached the match with the right attitude.  

“We played a very composed and youthful side, which drew with East End Lions and FC Kallon. We knew it wasn’t going to be easy for us and therefore we prepared well and return after the break with intent and purpose. We curtailed their long passes and defended well. It’s a very important three points and we are happy to take this mentality to our next match,” coach Sesay said.

Central Parade remained 3rd in the league with 21 points from 12 matches while Ports Authority have climbed up to 4th with 19 points from 11 matches.  

Copyright 2014 The Sierra Leone Football Association.
Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being giving to the Communications Desk of the FA as source.